Tuesday, January 23, 2007

1

How do I relate to faith?
I believe in faith as how the Bible describes faith: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Faith is principle of my decisions and actions in everyday life. As I turn on the lights with faith knowing that the light would extinguish the darkness that fills my room, I hinge on Jesus with faith to live a life with purpose. But there are times when I doubt if God would use me in a great way or even have a overall layout of my future. I believe that it is important for me to "walk the talk" because the faith that I believe in becomes the basis of my character, virtue, thoughts, and actions.

How did Don Richardson relate to Faith?
Don Richardson has a very strong faith as he decided to obey God and come to the Sawi tribe to evangalize. His actions that had been made by his faith would describe him as a brave servant of God. As he dwelt with the cannibals in the jungle and faced many dangers and hardships, he had faith that God would use him to change the Sawi people and their corrupted culture. Don's actions, characters, and thoughts had portrayed his faith to the Sawi.

How do the Sawi relate to faith?
Before God worked among the Sawi to change them, their faith had been based on treachery such as 'tuwi asonai makaerin' which means fattening friendship for slaughter and evil beliefs such as waness bind. They also believed that treachery and cannibalism was to be practiced continuously and be praised. But ironically, the Sawi knew how to make peace and only through the 'peace child.' The concept of the peace child which had similar analogy of Jesus Christ helped the Sawi to build gradual faith in God. As their faith grew, they were able to throw away their depraved traditions one by one.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Yes you have hit the nail on the head! "Walk the talk " is what Christ wants us to do but so often; I come up short! Good perspective Joan. I'm still having fun reading your blog. Mrs.Mc